Youth Safety Guidelines
The safety and well-being of our youth are our primary concerns. In order to ensure their safety and promote and atmosphere of love and trust conducive to learning and spiritual growth, we have instituted the following Safety Guidelines:
- There will be a youth-to-adult ratio in compliance with the Conference Safe Sanctuaries guidelines and all EHUMC Safe Sanctuary policies will be followed. Ratios may need to be higher if the event involves younger youth or is to a location where there is more risk of separation or need for closer supervision. If younger children (not yet old enough for youth) accompany parents on trips additional chaperones must be involved so that a parent can be free to attend to the younger child.
- During travel youth will be assigned to particular vehicles in advance and they must travel in the assigned vehicle until and unless new assignments are made.
- During off-site activities each adult chaperone will be given specific youth for whom to be responsible. Adults should know the location of their assigned youth at all times.
- A buddy system will be in effect at all times. Buddies will be assigned ahead of time to avoid placing a youth in the awkward situation of not being chosen. If buddies are separated for any reason this must be reported to an adult immediately.
- Each event will be structured to allow for regular head counts and check-ins, particularly when the group changes locations. No one in the group will leave until everyone is accounted for, unless specific alternative arrangements are in place.
- Drivers are to be over 25 and covered by insurance. Youth may not drive other youth without written parental permission. Younger youth (6th -9th grades) will not ride with older youth under any circumstances unless the older youth is a sibling.
- Trips will depart from and return to Embry Hills UMC. In the event that public transportation is used, the group will convene at the church and proceed to the MARTA station according to the above guidelines.
- Youth will not leave the church without a completed emergency contact form on each child. It is essential that we not rely on youth cell phones for communication with parents.
- EHUMC youth will abide by all safety instructions given or posted at the destination location.
- Behavior in and around the church will be monitored in order to insure, as far as possible, the safety of everyone, including others who are in the building.
- At lock-ins, youth will be restricted to certain portions of the building in order to monitor coming and going.
- Specific types of events might require some additional safety policies to be in effect. These will be given to youth and parents in writing before the activity.
- Violations of the above policies will be reported to parents. Youth who disregard the policies or the instructions of the adults in charge may be asked to leave the activity and/or suspended from one or more future activities unless the behavior is remedied. In the event that a youth must be sent home parents will be responsible for transportation.